Turkey Meatball Topping
I’m a mom, and I work full time, so some things just need to be quick and easy for me, without sacrificing the health and flavor of a dish. My Turkey Meatball Topping is a good example of nutrition-at-pace!
This recipe is very versatile – have it on pasta (check out my How To Cook Pasta guide) or rice (check out my How To Cook Rice guide), or even just skip the sauce and throw these meatballs into a sandwich! Use it as you like. It’s your tummy!
Ingredients (serves 5)
Turkey, ground (450 grams) Tomatoes, canned, sliced (125 ml) Carrots, medium (2) Courgette, medium (1) Soy sauce (1.5 tbsp) Garlic powder (1 tsp) Oregano (1 tsp) Turmeric powder (1 tsp) Pepper, ground (dash) Parmigiano, grated (1 tbsp) Breadcrumbs, wholewheat (half tbsp) Avocado oil (1.5 tbsp)
Phase I – The Prep
Ingredients out and…
- Take a big mixing bowl and put your ground turkey in it
- Add your soy sauce, garlic powder, turmeric, pepper, parmigiano and bread crumbs – then mix until its a big tasty-smelling mass of flavor
- Using your chopping board or two hands, roll the turkey into small spheres as if it were play-dough – we don’t want the balls too big, or too small – try to get them around half the size of a golf ball. See my pictures as a guide. We should get about 40 little balls out of this turkey mix
- Dice your courgette and put these in a separate bowl
- Take your carrots and grate them using a cheese grater. Add them to the bowl with the diced courgette
You just finished your food prep! Now it’s time to turn that stove on and make the magic happen!
Phase II – The Heat
Okay! Where’s your favorite frying pan?
- Turn your stove on to a medium heat and put a deep broad pan on a big hob. We need depth and surface area for your pan
- Put your oil in the pan and add your meatballs. Let them cook for about 10 minutes
- Add your courgettes and carrots now and start gently mixing your meatballs and veggies – we want to time the courgettes and the meatballs to brown at the same time
- When the meatballs are golden brown and the courgettes are browning also (not too brown, we don’t want them soft), you’re ready for next steps
- Add your canned tomato and mix well (but gently, as we don’t want to damage your meatballs and courgettes!)
- Turn the heat on your pan down to about 1/4 heat, then put the lid on your pan and let it cook for 15 minutes
- Take the lid off and allow your sauce to cook for about 10 more minutes – you’re waiting for the bulk of the moisture to evaporate at this point (we want sauce, not soup)
And now you’re done! Mix in your preference of rice or pasta and then drizzle on some oil once its in your bowl. It’s time to tuck in!
Nutritional Info (per serving)
Protein, 26 grams Fat, 11 grams Carbohydrates, 11.5 grams Calories, 210
Remember you can cook this without the sauce if you’re just looking for some tasty turkey meatballs to go with your new, healthy lifestyle. Check out my free Upgrade System for more ideas to improve your health sustainably.